One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Guide for writing appearances, personalities and histories

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Guide for writing appearances, personalities and histories Empty
PostSubject: Guide for writing appearances, personalities and histories   Guide for writing appearances, personalities and histories Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

First of all, for writing a character you should already have in your mind at least the way you want him/her to be, the difference that your character would have if he/she was compared to another character, as no one wants to make an unoriginal character. I’d recommend that you’d make a character that you would enjoy to rp, try to know and think about everything about him/her, that way writing the posts would be easier and they’d come out more detailed.

As for writing the appearance, most find this incredibly hard, some not having English as their first language and everything, but it comes rather easy if you have some things in mind. As for words, you can always translate them in google translate, I wouldn’t recommend translating phrases because the grammar usually mixes up. Try to be as detailed as possible, using words like ‘cerulean’ or ‘azure’ instead of blue is nice to read and changes the esthetic of the paragraph completely, it also adds some variety. If you don’t know how exactly to write the appearance, try to ask a mod about it, or maybe a user, they will more than gladly revise your appearance if you want to have the grammar correct, or maybe tell you the right words if you’re looking for one and can’t find it. What I do for writing appearances is find a song that I think fits my character, put my headphones on and let the words come out, it usually turns out neatly, but when writer’s block comes in, I just try to check other appearances I’ve made and inspiration comes back. I think that writing appearances is easier than people think it is, you can do it! Just don’t be lazy.

Go from section to section as you write, this is the order I usually use:
1. Hair
2. Face
3. Body
4. Height/Weight
5. Clothes
6. Accessories/Tattoos/Marks

It’s more neat and organized; it’ll also help you have a better visualization of your character. Using phrases like “She has long silky white hair that ends in a beautiful curl, her fringe covers her eyes partially so she usually uses hairclips to prevent that” then continue writing with whatever you please.

For writing the personality of your character you need to think through this, try to make him/her desirable to rp, you can make them slightly ‘weird’ so that you can make funny posts or weird posts where you explain things that no one would usually explain. I’ve noticed that people just write something basic in the personalities, but when you think about it this is a One Piece RolePlay Site, they are either pirates, bandits, marines, etc. They aren’t just ‘normal people’. Not only listing their likes and dislikes would be needed for a fitting personality, also think about what their point of view in the actual world is, their opinion on killing, piracy and everything. What they want to be like and everything like that. So that way every time you are not sure what to post you can add something about your character, after all, in your posts they are the main characters. You can describe the way your character thinks and everything like that.

I’ve also noticed that histories are probably the hardest part of writing about your character, people find it tiring and unnecessary, but when you think about it, it explains everything about your character, it explains how they act and how they think. It is their origins, why they are like that and no one should forget about it. So if you already have in mind how your character is going to be, then think “What made him/her be this way?” and the answer to that should be explained in your history. I think that for a good history it shouldn’t be just a summary or everything in their lives, maybe it would be better to explain to detail the most important occurrences in their life? As it is what is most important, when you think that way you have less to explain but more detailedly. It is better that way, in my opinion at least.

Think about the story before you write it.

Everything about your character is defined by his/her history; it is what made him/her. For your character, your creation, it means everything, like the reason why they don’t like confined places is because they were locked in one when they were kids, for example. But it is everything they stand for, and one should try their hardest in explaining it, because if not then it wouldn’t mean anything, if it was so unimportant, then they wouldn’t be like that, would they? Just an advice, try to explain everything at the best of your ability, it is fine asking a mod to help you although it’d be better via PM than in the chatbox, as not much are online all the time. Nothing comes out perfect in the first try, NOTHING, so proof-reading is the best option if you truly want to make a good character.

Be original and love your character, because that’s the point of rping! Having fun! So you won’t have fun if you don’t love your character.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1