One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Character Appearance

Go down 
+3
nikz200
Kaiser Yonkou
Shichibukai Hunter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shichibukai Hunter

Shichibukai Hunter

Character Appearance Empty
PostSubject: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 pm

First off let me start by asking-no-BEGGING that all you crazy people (like me) don't turn this into another huge debate like my last suggestion. Right then. Here we go...

This time around I'm going to be picky about the appearance of characters. You see, sometimes when people have made characters they simply fill in the appearance section with a picture of a person and that's it. Now this wouldn't be such a bad thing, but not only is it lazy (not that I can talk, having used pictures myself in the past), but also some of these pictures are really pathetic. Some of these pictures are simply head shots of the person giving you their skin, eye, and hair color and...let's see...a little bit of their shirt, but that's about it. So...great. We know what the upper half of the upper half of their body looks like. Now, the next question is, how tall are they? What else are they wearing? Do they have a scar or some other defining feature that cannot be seen by simply seeing a picture? As I said before, I am guilty of doing this as well, and while I'm not saying that you (that is to say the admins/mods) should go and make everyone who has done this in the past go and fix that, instead I am simply suggesting that people must give a little bit more detail explaining what cannot be seen in the picture. Anyways, that's all. See ya around. AND NO DEBATES!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kaiser Yonkou

Kaiser Yonkou

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:05 pm

well you can't stop someone reacting on this. The mere fact that a picture itself is a lot more then words, it does not mean that they are lazy.I am using pictures to identify my characters all the time. The reason/s that they do not post additional details to the picture is that the picture says it all and has all of it, if it is cut it is just fine. I don't see any reason to have this as a problem. The appearance isn't what makes the character, it is how he RP.
Back to top Go down
Shichibukai Hunter

Shichibukai Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Kaiser Yonkou wrote:
well you can't stop someone reacting on this. The mere fact that a picture itself is a lot more then words, it does not mean that they are lazy.I am using pictures to identify my characters all the time. The reason/s that they do not post additional details to the picture is that the picture says it all and has all of it, if it is cut it is just fine. I don't see any reason to have this as a problem. The appearance isn't what makes the character, it is how he RP.

Yeah, I know I can't stop people reacting. That's why I included myself in the statement in the hope that people would go easier on since I was including myself in there as well.

And if your picture explains everything then I don't see why anyone would even bring it up or ask you for something more. Besides, this is just a suggestion. It's not like the whole site is changing or something. I don't have that power. Yet. Or ever. tongue
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:39 pm

James as a mod, i think i have the right to say this. You want word descriptions with the pictures, but then again its not easy as you think. Its alot of work already... i dont see the whole problem with this anyway...... Most people do very detailed descriptions already, only a few people use pictures as a sole description
Back to top Go down
GoreFish

GoreFish

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:35 am

I personally agree with James. I don't like it when pople just post pictures of their character someone else has drawn. Now if they have drawn them, that's another story.
But it simply seems a little... wrong to me. I always put a lot of thought into my characters, and the appearance is definitely a part of it.
Again, my oppinion, I don't want to have the whole appearance thing changed, and I don't want people to have to write something.... Just... a sentence or two would be nice... About size, maybe.... things the picture doesn't show... things you might want to add... if you don't want to add anything, then I can't understand that, but okay, that's you.
Back to top Go down
cole

cole

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I get what you mean James and I am guilty to the fact that I always use sole pictures as appearence. It would be good tohave it changed but I have a problem with descriptions I always make my own version of the character in my mind and the descriptions don't help only when I got a picture can I change this.
But if the admins decide to change this I wouldn't mind to post a description instead.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 pm

you must understand..tying up a detailed description on how your character looks is a lot of work. What if for a job interview they told you if you apply you MUST give a DETAILED description of your entire body. Skin cells, hair color, every strand of hair..

Also...you have to type a DETAILED life story about your self...
Now if your like me..I get extremely detailed with everything I post on this site as is..and I find it fair that just because I don't want to detail the picture doesn't make me lazy..its just extra work that can be avoided so you can put more effort into your history..

Now a VAILD argument would be you complaining about these sucky a#% history's our members post..
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

there's quite alot of standards I could subject our sheets to but dont, this isnt exactly a lit rp and I want this place to be ideal for both first time users who have two sentence posts dont know what OC means and say lol to much as well as the advanced, actually skilled writers who have characters longer than most grad school thesis and should quite honestly find a publicist for their writing, mostly this place is for the free exchange of ideas and storytelling but Ill agree that not all our users are masters at character work, but we have the chibi lounge for just that reason...
Back to top Go down
https://theonepiecerp.rpg-board.net
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Crying or Very sad Those were beautiful words admin sama , words that touch my soul. And its exactly how it should be. We are not like others. We are unique and accept different people and styles here. As long as they want to rp we welcome people. It doesnt matter how skilled they are or whatever. So for some people who struggle when typing appearance. A picture is a most suitable alternative
Back to top Go down
Shichibukai Hunter

Shichibukai Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Oh please. Why did this idiotic conversation get brought back up? If I had a nickel for every time I started a stupid discussion on this site and lived to regret it...I would have fifteen cents. Okay, sorry. I'm being unreasonable. I'm just annoyed that one of my ideas got brought back up against like this. I'm grateful that a couple of people agreed with me, but the truth is, this site is very open to how things are done. There are rules, but they don't really limit us a great deal. Sure, I think we should limit more then we do, but the thing is, it's fine the way it is now, so there is no point in getting worked up about it. Could someone lock this please? Or trash it. Doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm

The rules are fine..they keep balance. And there the reason I've been on this site for so long. Most OP sites are extremely strict...so strict you can't even choose the devil fruit you want..

Plus, if it was fine the way it is. Why say we should change it...

Your just upset that were disagreeing with you..
Don't be mad when you post an OPEN discussion were people can post there opinion..you should have posted "who feels the same way" or something..

Don't trash the topic..because other people might want to talk about it..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Appearance   Character Appearance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character Appearance
Page 1 of 1