One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Per-User Character Index Forum

Go down 
+2
GoreFish
Vagrant Lustoid
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vagrant Lustoid

Vagrant Lustoid

Per-User Character Index Forum Empty
PostSubject: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 am

Hi guys, given that I noticed how easily the “Three Devil Fruit” limit can be missed, due to mods/admins not being fully aware of who owns what characters, I wanted to suggest something. The primary source of this issue appears to be that you don’t have a standardized method for people to keep track of characters. Some people link to all their characters in their sigs, some don’t bother at all. Aside from the DF thing, this is just really annoying in general for when others are wanting to check out your characters, perhaps for crew acceptance, perhaps merely to see if their personality is going to clash with the character you want to RP them being buddy buddy with.

So I propose that there should be a sub-forum, probably in Character Creation and possibly replacing the Accepted Characters subforum. In this sub-forum, each individual user would have a thread, and in this thread they would have to provide a small list of their characters, with links to the actual character profiles. I’d also propose that the link to this character index be required to be in the user’s sig, so that anyone can check out their characters easily. I’ve already done a similar thing to this in the General Discussion thread, I have an Index Thread and that’s what I’m basing the idea off. Now, it wouldn’t have to be anything as complex as my thread, I’m thinking more something like this:

Quote :
Vagrant Lustoid
Characters: 1/10
Devil Fruits: 1/3
IQ Users: 0/5

Name: Carver Bruce
Alignment: Pirate
Role: Heavy Gunner
Crew: The Black Pearl
Devil Fruit: Yes, Orbu Orbu no Mi
IQ User: No

And so on and so forth. As you can see, both the character and any Devil Fruit is linked to their actual bio, allowing easy checking, and also allowing for others who are simply curious to read up on the characters. The idea would be that if a character isn’t in the thread linked to in your sig then the character is treated as either a retired character and not able to be used in RP or an NPC. This way, when a new character bio is posted the mod who wants to approve it can just check the index, make sure the user hasn't exceeded DF or character limits and approve them.
Back to top Go down
GoreFish

GoreFish

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:38 am

I really like your idea, nice concept.
You're absolutely right about the character issue. I personally want to know what char I just met, but if you have to search for it every time, it gets rather tiring, and this would make the issue a little better.
Would that subforum only have one thread for that? I'd say let's give every user their own, since the user would be much easier to find that way.
Back to top Go down
Vagrant Lustoid

Vagrant Lustoid

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:48 am

Each person would presumably have their own thread, thus warranting a subforum rather than a sticky at the top of the Character Creation forum. Could possibly replace "Approved Characters" or just sit alongside it.
Back to top Go down
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 am

To be honest this sounds like more work for me. I have my characters linked in my signature and I don't see any point putting any more effort in it than that.
Back to top Go down
Vagrant Lustoid

Vagrant Lustoid

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:59 am

So you're against a small amount of work that would make everyone else's lives easier? Seems lazy to me. Additionally, you're at 5 characters in the sig, you won't be able to fit many more due to sig limitations. For people who have more characters than 5 this will present an issue.
Back to top Go down
GoreFish

GoreFish

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 am

Well, that's great for you, but if you take a look, I have mine linked as well.
It's about people who don't. And there's a lot of those. Aren't you tired of having to look up everyone you meet? Because I am. And really, look at the sheet. It's not that long or hard to fill out.
Still, it's a valid argument: Will it have to be a duty for everyone to have one of those?
If we don't make it one, I think it'll be the people who also didn't link their chars in their sig who'll skip it. But if we make it a duty, how should we check it? And also, what if one user doesn't have one? do we just tell them to make one? We can't really ban them just for that.

Another thing: I have an enourmous mass of NPcs, some of them don't even have a sheet yet (but are in the works). Should we add them as well? I'd say we should, but, but make it clear that they're not characters. But we shouldn't make that one a duty, since, well... that would be a lot of work.

And the sig limit is an issue, I had to edit it again and again for it to fit, and I'm not at the ten char limit.
Back to top Go down
Vagrant Lustoid

Vagrant Lustoid

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 am

Well, you could easily ban them for that. You guys are mods/admins, you can do whatever the hell you want Razz Or just enforce a rule that the characters must be in the index thread to be used in RP, and properly linked to.

NPC isn't a problem so much because they a) don't count towards any character or DF limits and b) aren't used so much as your PCs, generally. The regular NPC forum should be fine for them.

And I'd just phase it in, it's not a lot of work to make a thread with your characters in it, with only a handful of attributes to identify (name/link, alignment, role, crew, DF/IQ). It really only takes a few minutes and helps everyone out. You get the benefit by being able to check on other people's characters far easier as well.
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 am

..... cheh.... i dont like saying this, but this is actually a good idea.......
Back to top Go down
GoreFish

GoreFish

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 am

So, we have two mods who kind of like the idea. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Gael
Admin
Gael

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 am

I like it. It's really a good idea, and it's not like it'll harm anything. Besides, I need to make one myself... I don't know how many characters I have at this point.
Back to top Go down
Cryptic Terror

Cryptic Terror

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm

This is a really fantastic idea, I think. It would even be helpful to list a characters weapons here as well. Organization and consolidation of characters, fruits, and weapons would make this site infinitely more navigable and user-friendly. It will also help mods more easily enforce things like character and devil fruit limits without having to spend half a day check up on one user. (I just spent half an hour looking for a single sheet two days ago!) It will also be very helpful for users themselves to have quick access to their characters, weapons, and devil fruits in the event that any updates or modifications need to be made.
I'm with Gore and V-Loid... it's kind of annoying to spend so long looking up character sheets that are an asset to preserving an RP environment that fosters the preservation of each characters unique traits. I wouldn't be surprised if some people don't even bother to look them up because it sometimes takes blood-sucking ages.
Cob, seriously, how much do you think this will sent you back ... two, maybe three minutes to copy and paste information that you've already consolidated to save others obscene amounts of time? If others are like you and think it's too cumbersome to trouble yourself with a tiny amount of effort as a courtesy to others then it probably SHOULD be mandatory.
Niko... why are you so miffed about this? It's a really nice idea.
Back to top Go down
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 pm

When I come to this site all I want to do is rp. I don't want to have to keep records of everything I do...If you can't find the character you want, well to bad. Just figure out there moves during the fight like what you would have to if this was real. To be honest if the mods had actually put the characters in the accepted and rejected forums they would be easier to find.
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 pm

im not miffed.... i said its a good idea, but of course part of me thinks it can also be a pain in the ass. Still, it is a good idea.........
Back to top Go down
Cryptic Terror

Cryptic Terror

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Cob, like I said, I would take a few minutes. You already have everything assembled in your signature. You're acting like it's a monumental chore that you have to pour hours into every time you log in. Too bad? Don't respect your fellow RPers enough to make playing with you easier and more organized? Putting things in the accepted and rejected subcategories doesn't particularly help with organization due to sheer volume.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Simply enough, catalogue active characters in a thread. Its one post, simple info, update once you've made new characters or retired old ones. I give my support to this suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Some people just aren't as organized as others and forcing them to be so is just going to push members away from the site. Look at it from a brand new users prospective, to them it would be just one more thing they would have to do before being able to rp. If you want to do it go ahead all the more power to you, but don't try to force your ways upon people. I may consider making one, but a mandatory index isn't a good idea.
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

I agree with Cob. Mandatory index is not a good idea for new rpers, that being said, the idea as a whole is ok, and to the general number of people we have it shouldnt be a problem, but are we also meant to update the stories we are in as well?
Back to top Go down
Vagrant Lustoid

Vagrant Lustoid

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

I'll tell you what's not good for new players: Not being able to find anyone else's bios because they have to wade through masses of crap and thus not knowing other people's characters. RPing is a community activity and if you're not going to make things easier for your community of fellow RPers then frankly you're not the sort of person I'd want to RP with anyway because it indicates severe laziness, and laziness makes for bad RP.
Back to top Go down
Gael
Admin
Gael

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I wouldn't say that. I just think having them all in one place would be helpful. In fact, I'll ask Admin-Sama for permission to make a subforum for it. It will not be mandatory at all. Let's not start arguing like this... things will just turn bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Per-User Character Index Forum   Per-User Character Index Forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Per-User Character Index Forum
Page 1 of 1